How precious are Your thoughts to me, O LORD ... how vast is the sum of them!

Friday, August 9, 2013

An Ending Here, a Beginning There

A couple of newsy-items for today:

One is that this week I finished my apprentice course with the Jerry B. Jenkins Christian Writer’s Guild. Taking it was one of the best decisions I ever made for my writing life for a number of reasons, but primarily because it showed me what being a professional writer entails. I already knew how to write, already loved to write, and already wrote copiously, but this course showed me how to move my writing into the larger world. It expanded my writing mentality beyond personal and self-oriented, which is an important grounding to have and maintain, and taught me what type of writing the world needs. And therefore, what will get published. It was very energizing to become published during this course! Now that I’m done, I’m taking a break from official courses and pursuing my own literary studies, which I’ll touch on shortly. I have to give prayer and thought to what will come next as far as education. There is a fiction course …. Anyway, if The Christian Writer’s Guild piques your interest, visit their website! It’s a highly professional organization, yet full of Christian grace, and is very influential in the realm of writing and publishing.

I do love self-directed study, however, and that’s why I was so exhilarated when my mom found this website: www.openculture.com. It has over 750 free online college courses. I almost grew dizzy at the list of courses, each the “X” over a buried treasure of information only an investment of several hours away. I began
Cervantes’ Don Quixote," which is taught by a Yale professor. I’m enjoying it greatly so far! I can sort of see how people spend their whole lives studying Don Quixote. That won’t be me, of course, but this is just the amount of study that I want -- and yes, I still owe Don Quixote a review! 

What kind of growth has your writing been having lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment