I’m not Inspector Gadget, but this seemed like something I could handle:
It’s been with me for about two months now. I use it for –
- Brainstorming The Alice Quest at times when I don’t have my computer, frequently when I’m walking my neighbor’s dogs. It helps me feel actively engaged with my story and productive even when I’m not doing the physical aspect of writing. A good, hard think accomplishes the same result, but this is something concrete. It’s fun to replay my thoughts!
- Remembering lines, word-for-word, that I come up with during those thinks.
- Recording interviews with my characters. (So far I’ve only interviewed Amy Brown, The Alice Quest’s protagonist.)
- Remembering what a friend and I brainstorm during a writing session of our co-story. (That was cool because I got to hear two people’s voices in conversation.)
- Recording things from the radio. (Don’t worry, no copyright violation!)
- Playing back my piano pieces so I can hear what I need to work on (or, more rarely, so I can think to myself: that’s me!)
I have lots of idea for other things I can do with it, such as:
- Record interviews with friends to study their speech patterns for characterization. (I have yet to ask anyone to do this with me; I’m afraid they’ll be self-conscious!)
- Record an interview with my 95-year-old grandmother.
- Read aloud my stories so I can hear how they sound to my ear later.
- Help myself memorize Bible chapters.
- Practice different voices and accents.
No doubt I’ll think of even more uses. I can download files from it onto the computer. (Speaking of being self-conscious, I was too shy to download a recording for you today. Besides, I don't quite know how to do that yet!) It’s fun and works really well; the sound is perfectly clear and at last I can comprehend exactly what my own voice is like. Several times when I’ve walked with it and recorded myself, the singing of birds came through, too, and that was just lovely. Hey! That’s another function! Recording birdsongs ….
Have you ever done anything with a voice recorder? Do you think it would be of any help to you?