How precious are Your thoughts to me, O LORD ... how vast is the sum of them!

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

7-7-7 Challenge

On Facebook, I was tagged by my fellow author, E. Kaiser Writes, for the 7-7-7 challenge—7 sentences from page 7 of my current WIP. I’m also supposed to tag 7 other writers to do the same, so I tag Sarah Scheele, Sarah Holman, Rebekah Jones, Emily Ann Benedict, Deborah O’Carroll, Amanda Tero, and Kayla Rose. If you don’t want to take up the tag, you don’t have to, of course … but if it’d make it easier, you can put your sentences in the comments!


So, here is my excerpt from Suit and Suitability:

The world was a mass of white, punctuated by trees … the evergreens were a welcome breach, having shaken most of the snow off their branches, but the deciduous ones stood naked and shivering. Ellen knew how they felt … a shudder traveled through her as the wind pounded on their long, boxy DeSoto, demanding to be let in. The sky was dingy white with domineering clouds. No amount of snow bathed in heavenly light, softening the angles and curves of the landscape, and making one think of purity, hearths, Christmas, and childhood fun, would ever make Ellen appreciate winter.
Her winters had been intolerable since the Depression had begun, because, like every other expense, the Dashiells needed to curb their coal use. Cold-natured Ellen might as well have been living inside an icebox from late November to March as she bundled up at home, froze on her way to work with Dad (or, for the past two weeks, on the bus), and shivered even in the office.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, nice snippet! :D ...Wow, that made me feel cold. O_O You have a way with words, deary!

    Also thanks for tagging me! ^_^ Not sure if I'll get around to it or not, or if I even have anything I could use for it, but we shall see! :)

    Miss you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! You are so sweet!
      I'm so glad you got around to it; thanks for the link!
      I miss you, too!

      Delete
  2. Just did this today! ^_^ Lots of fun. :) https://deborahocarroll.wordpress.com/2015/09/20/777-challenge-round-2/

    ReplyDelete