How precious are Your thoughts to me, O LORD ... how vast is the sum of them!

Friday, August 30, 2013

Writing Personality Quiz

I’m at the tail end of this launch party, but it sounded like fun, so I joined in. Meghan Gorecki has just launched her writing blog Every Good Word on August 19th and she wanted to get acquainted!

blog button
What was your first-ever piece of writing? It was a book I entitled “Sneaking Fun.” I think I drew pictures first, on this special heavy kind of paper, and then described what was happening in each picture. It went something like this: “Elephants, bees, and dogs are sneaking in the house.” Every page featured three different animals, and at the end I showed them in a room having a party.
How old were you when you first began writing? I don’t remember … it must have been five or six. It was probably as soon as I felt comfortable with spelling and making up simple sentences!
Name two writing goals. One short term & one long term. My short term goal is to publish Six Cousins: Family Reunion within the next month. My long term? Ah, let myself really dream … get published by a traditional publisher. Either that, or become a confident self-publisher whose books turn out exactly the way I want them to. : )
Do you write fiction or non-fiction? Both, but fiction is my first love. I like writing blog posts and magazine articles, but nothing compares to the delicious process of writing fiction!
Bouncing off of question 4, what's your favorite genre to write in? I don’t know at this point! My most serious stories have been contemporary and historical fiction, but I think I would really like writing mystery and light fantasy as well. I like including spiritual lessons, too, so that puts my work in the Christian field.
One writing lesson you've learned since 2013 began. There are lots of places for non-fiction writing! If you want some published pieces under your belt, try writing for magazines. That was an epiphany for me!
Favorite author, off the top of your head! Jane Austen! I just realized that, as far as I can tell, I now own everything she’s ever written that’s still extant today. All her novels, letters, and minor works. I am one happy fan.
Three current favorite books. Just three? I have to choose? Okay … lots of books are going to feel left out … Sense and Sensibility, Christy, and The Lord of the Rings trilogy (really like one long book!).
Biggest influence on your writing {person}: It usually turns out to be whomever I’m reading at the time … Jane Austen, Stephen Lawhead, Lisa Wingate … but as far as who inspires me the most, it’d have to be my mom, because we talk quite a lot about books, stories, and my novels. 
What's your go-to writing music? I don’t really have writing music … I write better in silence, but I guess I always find classical and Celtic music relaxing and inspiring.
List three to five writing quirks of yours! Little habits, must-haves as you write, etc.
Hmm … nothing very funny or interesting … maybe I can come up with three “dull” things: 1) I love details, and if I let myself get carried away, I’ll end up describing, say, every feature of a room … and every room of a house, even if it has nothing to do with the story; 2) I utilize my writing program’s thesaurus a LOT, usually to help me find the word that I know fits but I can’t seem to remember; 3) I always make up my characters’ complete family even if they don’t enter the story. Names, ages, birthdays, basic personalities … I love making up people. : )
What, in three sentences or less, does your writing mean to you? It’s one of my favorite blessings that God has given me, so I give it back to Him and write for His glory. It’s a large part of who I am, it’s the most fun thing I do, and it connects me with amazing friends! It keeps me anchored … it’s my way of processing the world.
Does anyone else care to share their own answers to some of these questions??

No comments:

Post a Comment