How precious are Your thoughts to me, O LORD ... how vast is the sum of them!

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Five Fall Favorites Day Six - Animals



Welcome to the final day, Day 6, of the Five Fall Favorites Party, hosted by Read Another Page! It's been a wonderful week spending time with you. Thank you for all your comments and interaction! I hope you've had fun learning about new books and discussing your favorites. And I especially want to thank Rebekah Morris, the host, for all the work she did putting this party together. 

As I reflected on yesterday, fall is often the perfect time to spend all day outdoors, and if you have animals, barn chores are probably more pleasant this time of year than at others. If you have a horse and lots of land, doesn’t a ride out to a faraway special haunt in company with a favored book sound idyllic for a fall afternoon? 



Sometimes I wish I could do that, but I have neither horse nor barn nor land. But I do have many favored books! Speaking of horses and other animals, here is my list of top five favorite animal stories:
The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford

I grew up adoring the movies Homeward Bound and the older classic The Incredible Journey, but it was only in my teens that I discovered the book they were based off. It delighted me every bit as much! Young Labrador Luath, old bull terrier Bodger, and Siamese cat Tao are the main characters in this realistic, heartwarming story about loyal animals finding their way home. Find on Goodreads.


Watership Down by Richard Adams

This unique, epic-like novel is about the world of rabbits in England. The rabbits speak and have human personalities, but otherwise they act like real rabbits. A band of rabbits must leave their threatened home and find a new place where they can establish a safe warren. Find on Goodreads.


Dog to the Rescue #1 and #2 by Jeannette Sanderson


These enjoyable, heartwarming children’s paperbacks tell true stories of doggy heroes saving lives, whether it was a soldier’s life, a stranger’s, or a family member’s. Made me love dogs even more! Find on Goodreads.



Princess by Carolyn Lane

This rather obscure book is about a Persian cat accidentally left behind at a summerhouse in Maine. Through autumn, winter, and spring, Princess struggles to survive, relying on help from a cat friend and hoping that, next summer, her family will come back. This book affected me so much when I was 8 years old that it inspired me to write a very similar story. Imitation is the ultimate compliment, right? Find on Goodreads.



The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Obviously the least realistic story on my list, it still drips with animal charm. Even though I only read it for the first time this year, I found it to be a timeless classic that was funny, cozy, and enchanting. I loved reading the parts about the river and woods especially, and Rat, Mole, Badger, and Mr. Toad and their friends and foes are unforgettable. Read my full review on Goodreads.



What are your favorite books about animals? Also, please note that today I'll have limited access to internet, so I will be a bit slow responding to your comments. But, by all means, comment away!

To find out who won the giveaway prizes, check Rebekah Morris's post on Read Another Page.

http://readanotherpage.com/2017/10/top-5-giveaway-blog-hop-animal.html

6 comments:

  1. I grew up listening to "The Wind in the Willows" and have many fond memories of it. (I can even sing Toad's Last Little Song. ;) )
    I haven't read any of the other books, but I think we have a few on our shelves. I need to go see.

    Thank you, Kelsey, for being a part of this party this year! I enjoyed each one of your blog posts and seeing what books you like. I know I've added some from your list to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool, Rebekah! I wish I had read (or listened to) The Wind in the Willows when I was growing up. Such a fun, cozy book!
      Thank you so much for getting me on board, Rebekah! I had a lot of fun and enjoyed seeing everyone's posts, too. I can't wait to read through all of them. Thank you for all the work you did putting this party together.

      Delete
  2. Animal books aren't my strong reading point, so it's no surprise that you've mentioned five I've not read yet. Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read more animal books than I had first thought; I realized it when making this list. :) Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. Wind in the Willows is a sweet story! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it certainly is! I love their quaint British-ness. :)

      Delete