How precious are Your thoughts to me, O LORD ... how vast is the sum of them!

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Five Fall Favorites Day Four - Missionaries

 
Welcome to Day 4 of the Five Fall Favorites Party, hosted by Read Another Page! Fall isn’t short of bounties to delight the senses – let’s not forget the sense of taste. After months of growth, plants yield an autumn harvest of some of the most delicious foods: apples, pumpkins, squash, carrots, nuts, grapes, etc. Bushels represent a fruitful harvest.




One of the Bible’s most memorable agricultural symbols is how we as believers ought to bear fruit in God’s Kingdom. Inspiring and encouraging us, missionary stories chronicle individuals who exemplify lives lived with a focus on bearing bushels and bushels of Kingdom fruit. They’re some of my favorite books to read; here are my top five. Every one of them challenged me and taught me a lot about the life of faith:




God’s Smuggler by Brother Andrew (with John and Elizabeth Sherrill)

This is the exciting memoir of Brother Andrew, a Dutch missionary who smuggled Bibles into Eastern European countries bound under Communism. It really inspired my faith. Find on Goodreads.




The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom (with John and Elizabeth Sherrill)

Corrie ten Boom helped save Jews during the Holocaust and was thrown into a concentration camp herself . . . and when she emerged, she carried a message of love and forgiveness all over the world. Find on Goodreads.




Window on Mount Zion by Pauline Rose

A Messianic Jew before the term was officially coined, Pauline Rose was a British transplant to the new nation of Israel in the 1950s. Her home on Mount Zion, on the border of Jordanian territory, might have been a frightening place to live, except that God’s protection was on it. She opened her home and garden to many passersby and maintained a godly influence in a nation that was sadly becoming more and more secular. Read my full review on Goodreads.




Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis (with Beth Clark)

This is the inspiring memoir of a contemporary missionary who adopted orphans in Uganda. Her story of surrendering her own will to follow God’s is especially poignant to those of us living today. Find on Goodreads.




Heroes of the Faith Series

This vast series of absorbing, easy-to-read biographies introduced me to many of the most famous missionaries and Christian reformers throughout the centuries. Find on Goodreads.



What are your favorite missionary books? Also, please note that today, tomorrow, and Saturday I'll have limited access to internet, so I will be a bit slow responding to your comments. But, by all means, comment away!

Have you entered the giveaway yet? Don't forget!

http://readanotherpage.com/2017/10/top-5-giveaway-blog-hop-missionary.html

22 comments:

  1. Those first two and "Kisses from Katie" are on my TBR. That one sounds especially amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are all so good! It's so neat to be able to follow Katie's ministry because she is current.

      Delete
  2. I still want to read Kisses from Katie. I haven't read many of the others, though I know about most of the people talked about in them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Faith! So many people we can be inspired by.

      Delete
  3. I also want to read "Kisses from Katie." I've never heard of "Widow on Mount Zion" but it sounds interesting. I'm going to have to look it up. Thank you for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Window on Mount Zion certainly is interesting, in a setting we don't normally get to read about.

      Delete
  4. "Kisses from Katie" sounds really good! I also want to read "God's Smuggler" and "The Hiding Place."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your picks! Most of these are on my to read list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those first two... <3 <3 <3 Amazing books! Reading them seriously increases my knowledge of exactly HOW powerful faith is!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Amanda! I love them on so many different levels, but that level is my favorite.

      Delete
  7. Kisses from Katie and God's smuggler sounds really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are! I encourage to read them. :)

      Delete
  8. Missionary biographies are awesome. I need to get some more.

    -Katja L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes! And I, too, need to read more of them.

      Delete
  9. Oh, I've only read one of these! More good ones to add to my list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone needs to make a point to put the Hiding Place on your TBR. It is a life changer and she has two more that follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree! We can be so encouraged by her story, even if it's hard. I haven't read the last two; I need to!

      Delete
  11. Elisabeth Allen is such a great author! I love her books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! She's an author whom I would love to read everything she wrote. :)

      Delete