How precious are Your thoughts to me, O LORD ... how vast is the sum of them!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Gold Medals on the Silver Screen

In my last blog post, I mentioned I’d be reviewing my favorite dolphin movie. That didn’t seem quite enough for a whole blog post today, so I thought I’d include other movies that would get a “gold medal” from me. These are, more-or-less, my top ten; I’ve enjoyed so many movies it’s hard to choose! As such, these aren’t in any order.

                                                       Dolphin Tale (2011) Poster

Dolphin Tale -- This is the inspiring true story of Winter, a dolphin in Florida who lost her tail to a net. She was rescued and rehabilitated, but she could not live for long without a tail … her rescuers, including two kids who love her dearly, fight to save her with a prosthetic tail.

Winter can be visited; she lives at Clearwater Marine Aquarium.

The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit -- These are probably my favorite movies of all. I really don’t need to explain the awe-inspiring story, or anything else that makes this series into the best of epics. (In my opinion.)

Fiddler on the Roof -- I’m partial to Jewish stories, and this musical is the most iconic. It’s set in Russia at the turn of the century. The storyline is engaging -- alternately funny and touching; the characters are entertaining; and the music is both beautiful and catchy.

The Court Jester -- This is my favorite Danny Kay musical: set in the Middle Ages, it has comedy, adventure, intrigue, romance, and triumph of right over wrong. The best part is the way the underdog Hawkins becomes the hero.

The Princess Bride -- This movie explores the age-old story of heroism and true love; it’s gripping, yet funny and adventurous in a somewhat farcical nature. Wesley and Buttercup fall in love but are separated for years … but when Wesley returns, an evil prince stands in the way of true love.

The Sound of Music -- Again, a ubiquitous classic I don’t have to explain … the music is timeless, the family is endearing, and the scenery -- the Alps -- is breathtaking.

Pride and Prejudice (1995, BBC) -- My favorite adaptation of Pride and Prejudice because the characters seem to fit Jane Austen’s characters perfectly and the plot follows the book well. It brings the English Regency to life.

Sense and Sensibility (1995, Emma Thompson) -- My favorite adaptation of Sense and Sensibility because the characters seem to fit and it captures the spirit of the book even though simplifying it. Not to mention the music, the sets, and the scenery are beautiful!

North and South -- The story of Margaret Hale and John Thornton, from Elizabeth Gaskell’s book. John Thornton is a mill owner in northern England and Margaret is an unwilling transplant from the bucolic south; their views clash but romance comes stealing in. It’s way more exciting than just that -- it also depicts the battles between mill owners and workers.

Wives and Daughters -- Another book by Elizabeth Gaskell, this is about an endearing young woman named Molly Gibson, her father, stepmother and stepsister, and the friends who value her. The setting in the south of England is amazing.

Okay, I said top ten, but I just had to include number eleven …

Miss Potter -- This is a beautiful movie about Beatrix Potter at the start of her publishing career and the romance that develops alongside it.

What are your favorite movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment