How precious are Your thoughts to me, O LORD ... how vast is the sum of them!

Friday, February 14, 2014

A Pinterest Board

File:Merry Go Round Riverview Park Chicago 1906.JPG

This week I unleashed myself on Pinterest and collected inspiration for The Alice Quest. So as not to make people wonder what I mean by titling a board “The Alice Quest,” I call it “1900-1910” because those are the years I’m looking at. Lovely gowns splash the board with color, and equally captivating and helpful are black-and-white slice-of-life photos taken from those years. I’ve also begun to add portraits, objects, and books. Here is the link in case you’re interested in that time period and want to see what caught my eye: http://www.pinterest.com/kelseyibryant/1900-1910/

The yellow silk promenade dress near the bottom and the girl with the bicycle toward the middle have provided direct inspiration for the story! It amazes me how far photos and paintings go in transporting me into the life of my fictional world. I don’t always use them, but when I do I find that they really stimulate me – looking at an inspiring image sometimes gives me the push I need to write the next bit of a story.

Are images and music indispensable to you when you write?

No comments:

Post a Comment