Sarah Holman is a not so typical mid-twenties girl: A homeschool graduate, sister to six awesome siblings, and author of three published books and counting. If there is anything adventuresome about her life, it is because she serves a God with a destiny bigger than anything she could have imagined.
1) When did you first start writing, and what were your favorite things to write about?
I first started writing because I couldn't find stories that I wanted to read. I wanted adventure stories with strong, yet feminine characters. Adventure and strong, yet feminine characters are still what I love to write about.
2) Who are your favorite authors and how do they inspire both your life and your writing?
Grace Livingston Hill was my first inspiration as a writer. She was a strong Christian who wrote over one-hundred sweet stories of adversity and romance. Her books were contemporary for their time and they inspired me to start writing. I have also been inspired by the diversity and historical detail of Linda Lee Chaikin and Siri Mitchell, the style and overall perfectness of Elizabeth Camden, and the timeless wit of Jane Austen. All of these women inspiring my writing and my life.
3) How did you learn about self-publishing, and what were your first books about?
I was praying a lot about direction for my book. My dad suggested I look into self-publishing and so I did. The moment I did, I felt it was what I was supposed to do. I published my first book The Destiny of One, a science-fiction story of a nineteen year old who gets caught up in a grand adventure while she tries to discover what God wants her to do with her life. I loved being able to control my story from start to finish.
4) Is there a similar theme or message in all your books, or do they each say something very different? Or both?
Each of them has a different message, though I am sure you could come up with some similar themes. The Destiny Series is about finding your purpose and following it, no matter the cost. A Different Kind of Courage was about standing up for what is right. Adventure and Adversities is about finding God in the midst of our pain. Brothers and Betrayal is about the forgiveness.
5) Brothers and Betrayal is a sequel to Adventures and Adversities. What led you to write a medieval series, and what can we learn from this time period?
When I was eleven I became fascinated by Robin Hood and the whole time in which he lived. I think what really drew me into the time is because it was a darker time in history. When things are at their darkest, the light shines the brightest. Good and bad, black and white are easier to see in a dark world.
6) Tales of Taelis is set in a fictional land, but you've had to research the Middle Ages to create a convincing world. You've also written a novel about the American Revolution. So obviously you enjoy history! But what makes you want to do the hard (and rewarding!) work of writing historical fiction?
History is a passion of mine, but so many make history boring and lifeless. I wanted to spark an interest in history for others by showing that it isn't boring, it is exciting. So many of the issues we struggle with today have been struggled with throughout time. Many answers lie in the past as well as many lessons.
7) Now for a fun question about your personality: What is your favorite color, and how does it tie in with your personality?
My favorite color is sky blue. I think it reflects my love for the great outdoors and the Texas sky. I am also a very old-fashioned girl and soft colors reflect that.
8) Is there anything more you'd like to tell us, person to person or writer to writer?
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the LORD not for men.
Thank you for joining us, Sarah! I really enjoyed the interview!
March 16~ The Destiny of One
March 17~ Thoughts and Rants
March 18~ Rachel Rossano’s Words
March 19~ Wildflower Acres
March 21~ God's Peculiar Treasure
March 22~Kelsey's Notebook
March 23~ In The Bookcase
March 24~ God's Peculiar Treasure
March 25~ Wildflower Acres
March 26 ~With a Joyful Noise
March 27 ~ Author Jaye L. Knight
March 28 ~ The Destiny of One
And ... here is the giveaway!
a Rafflecopter giveaway