How precious are Your thoughts to me, O LORD ... how vast is the sum of them!

Thursday, June 2, 2016

I'm Back

Upon my word (a rather common expression in Emma, which is my current reading book), I’ve been absent for more than three weeks! The first week I was enjoying the visit of a dear friend and getting ready to be in a wedding (one of the best weeks of this year so far!). The week after I was “recuperating” (more on that in a minute). And earlier this week, I just couldn’t think of anything to post. But what has also bothered me is that I haven’t been very faithful in commenting on my friends’ blogs…and I apologize for the neglect!

I'm going to share some honest thoughts. I haven’t exactly gone through a crisis in my writing—nothing that drastic. I’ve just tried to set things in order. I had been getting so far away from actual writing on any of my projects that my creativity felt dry. Once general, outside-life busyness was over each day, I still wasn’t making any headway, but getting distracted by social media and other internet attention-grabbers. I was getting burned out in the “author has to market” mindset and not writing, which is why I’m even online doing this sort of thing. So I put much of that aside and just worked on my projects (I have three), resolving that even if I have to start over with marketing when I’m ready to jump in again, it’d be worth it. I needed to rediscover my love for writing and not worry about marketing (which I’ve never really known if I was doing it right anyway). Worrying about becoming known made me stop writing. Inadvertently, but still, unfortunate and pointless.

From now on I’m going to take it slow. I may not post as much on my blog, but that will (or at least should!) be because I’m actually writing soon-to-be books. My goal is not to allow the author business to overwhelm the writer business. Other people know how to handle it, but I’m still learning. If you are going through a similar reassessment (in writing or something else), I hope that this is encouraging to you. It’s okay to not be able to do everything you think you should do; it’s okay to draw back, pray, and straighten your priorities according to how God is leading you, even if that means you have to say no to some things.

Have you ever felt that busy-work was crowding out your creativity? Do you have any advice?

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I SO know that feeling. *hugs* No advice from me since I still haven't conquered it myself, but I hope you'll be able to find your love of writing again! Go go go, immerse yourself in it! :) I'm sure you'll find it again. ^_^

    (Also, random, but I absolutely love your new profile pic on the side! So pretty! <3)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Hugs back*. Thank you! I can identify what causes the problem, so you'd think I'd know how to fix it...it's part of growing, I suppose. I'm sure I'll figure it out someday. :)
      Thank you! I'm wearing my bridesmaid dress in that photo. Laura did my hair. :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, Kelsey, I certainly know that feeling!!! :-) And Yes, staying centered is always the answer to most things.
    I know it's so easy to be bogged down, but there is no guarantee that marketing will even "magically" accomplish all you hope, so losing yourself in pursuit of it is never worth it!
    I'm only now feeling like I may be getting a grasp on a balance there... so it's something that takes many years to even start to find a solid place to reach out from! :-)

    Keep focusing on what brings you joy, that's the reason you're doing this at all... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice and encouragement! It helps to know what someone further along on the journey feels about it.

      I hope you are getting that balance of writing and marketing! That'd be wonderful for you!

      Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Kelsey! Glad to know you're brave enough to take a break & expect a little less from yourself. :) It's been hard for me to be ok with where I am & my lack of creativity, but thankfully - because of the rest - I'm finding my creativity & hustle again.

    all the love,
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebekah! Yes, it was a revelation to me that I could just let certain things go, and it would be okay...and I'm feeling so much better for the rest! Now I actually want to do some of those things again that I had rested from.
      I'm glad to hear that you're rediscovering your creativity and hustle! You have a lot to offer.
      Thank you for dropping by with your comment!
      <3

      Delete