How precious are Your thoughts to me, O LORD ... how vast is the sum of them!

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Oxford Reflections Part 2

Since one post could not contain all I wanted to share of my pictures from England and the Oxford Creative Writing Master Class, I’m back with part two. Here are a slew of photos celebrating C. S. Lewis, one of the writers we discussed the most. 

The Kilns, Lewis's house in Headington Quarry, a residential district between Headington and Risinghurt and several miles from Oxford. This house was built in 1922, and Lewis and his brother, Warnie, lived there from 1930 until their deaths. It's a surprisingly ordinary house, but very comfortable and welcoming. You can see it on a guided tour and hear funny, heart-warming stories about the Lewises and the various people who lived there with them, including Joy, C. S. Lewis's wife, to whom he was only married for four years. 

Amanda Cannon Photography
Here's our group in front of a different angle of the Kilns. Visiting Lewis's home made him all the more real and endearing to me (he was such a scholarly bachelor, immune to materialism, and his home reflected that fact!). It was one of the highlights of my trip.


This is a view of Shelley's Pond, a short distance along a wooded path from the Kilns. Lewis enjoyed swimming here.

Amanda Cannon Photography
This is a little townhouse in Oxford where C. S. Lewis lived for a short time as a young man. 


These photos are in St. Mary's Passage, an alley in Oxford between the Radcliffe Camera and High Street, wending alongside St. Mary's University Church. C. S. Lewis walked this passage many times. Although he may or may not have been directly inspired by the leonine carving on the door (behind Douglas Bond), the carved fauns, or the lamppost in the passage, it's neat these three objects that evoke Narnia are all in one small space in Oxford. 




These are all photos of Magdalen College (pronounced maudlin), where C. S. Lewis taught. His specific rooms are not open to the public.

And here are ten photos (I couldn't help myself) of one of the prettiest places I've ever been: Addison's Walk, a circular path that loops around a meadow on the grounds of Magdalen College by the River Cherwell. Lewis loved to walk here. A conversation with Tolkien on this path in 1931 was instrumental in Lewis finally becoming a Christian.











Not far from the Kilns is Holy Trinity Church, where Lewis worshiped and where he and his brother are buried.


And here is Lewis's grave:

Lewis liked cats; I couldn't believe a friendly neighborhood cat came around to greet us while we were there. It was perfect.


I can't say I'm done with photos yet . . . my apologies! Maybe one more post will be enough to wrap up the trip; if not, hopefully you won't mind even more photos of England.

4 comments:

  1. Kelsey, I enjoyed your pictures I know being in England brings history back to life again. With your writing talent this was the perfect place to go for you to get the feelings of these great writers and absorb their inspirations
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so glad you did. I enjoyed sharing them. England certainly is the perfect location for history and inspiration. I loved it so much and would love visiting again and again.
      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. :O THE CAT ON LEWIS' TOMB. LIKE THE CAT IN THE TOMBS IN THE HORSE AND HIS BOY, WHICH WAS ACTUALLY ASLAN. :O Ahem. Great pictures, loved hearing about your time there! Eep! :D Looks like great fun! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of that! Isn't that the coolest? I love it. Before, I didn't know C. S. Lewis liked cats so much, but it makes sense. :)
      Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy it!

      Delete