How precious are Your thoughts to me, O LORD ... how vast is the sum of them!

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Carnival of the Animals

Some of you may know I’m a classical music nut. I love music in general, so I’m thrilled every summer to teach at a music day camp for kids. This year’s theme just so happened to fit in with the story I’m preparing for publication (a retelling of the fairy tale “The Bremen Town Musicians”) as it was Animals, specifically the “Carnival of the Animals” by Camille Saint-Saëns. This lighthearted orchestral suite, written in 1886, is comprised of fourteen entertaining movements, each depicting a different animal taking part in a carnival. I’ve loved it since I was a kid, but teaching about it at the music camp was the first time I actually studied it.


If you haven’t heard this fun, fast-paced piece, give it a listen and let me know which movement is your favorite! Mine are 1) Aquarium (which sounds similar to the prologue from The Beauty and the Beast); 2) Fossils (that iconic xylophone piece that sounds like dancing bones); and 3) Swan (probably the most recognizable movement from the suite).



What music have you been listening to and loving recently?

Photos of Music Camp




No comments:

Post a Comment