How precious are Your thoughts to me, O LORD ... how vast is the sum of them!

Monday, October 3, 2022

Five Fall Favorites Day 2

 

 

Welcome to Day 2 of Five Fall Favorites, hosted by Kate Willis! Today I’m sharing my Top 5 Fantasy Books. I don’t read a lot of fantasy, but some of my favorite books are in this genre, which means I certainly appreciate a well-crafted and deeply imaginative fantasy world.

 


 

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien

The ultimate epic of fantasy, this trilogy (or rather, a massive single work divided into three volumes) has it all for me: lovable characters, deep world-bending themes, high stakes, beautiful description, and a world that feels as complex and complete as our own. I grew up knowing the story from movies and endless discussions of the story with my family, though I’ve only read the complete work once. It was one of the most profound and moving books I’ve ever read. Time for a reread!

 

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge

A completely different type than the high fantasy Lord of the Rings, this children’s novel is set in Victorian England but contains delightful elements that skirt reality, like anthropomorphic animals and fantastical places. Just listen to the first line of the synopsis: In 1842, thirteen-year-old orphan Maria Merryweather arrives at Moonacre Manor, her family’s ancestral home in an charmed village in England's West Country, and she feels as if she’s entered Paradise.” Doesn’t that sound tantalizing? Read my full review HERE.



The Thaw series by E. Kaiser Writes

This spinoff of “The Snow Queen” fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson goes in a different direction from the movie Frozen, exploring the rich themes of forgiveness, honor, responsibility, and one man and one woman’s quest for redemption and restoration. It’s set in a beautifully imagined world reminiscent of Europe, replete with fascinating details from Nordic culture, wonderful character development, and breathtaking adventure.

 

 

The Map Across Time by C. S. Lakin

I’ve read four books out of the Gates of Heaven series, but this one, book two, is my favorite. It begins with a typical premise—a brother and sister must save their kingdom from a curse. But a magical map adds a mind-blowing time-traveling twist to the story that kept me up late reading. I loved the characters, the Hebrew and Scriptural elements, and the well-crafted world. Read my full review HERE.

 

The Harry Ferguson Chronicles by William David Ellis

This series is almost complete—just one book to go. It’s a highly imaginative, complex tale weaving together down-home modern-day East Texas characters, dragon riders, a medieval princess, Nazis and the Holocaust, mythical monsters, and more, all coming together in a page-turning adventure that keeps you guessing with endless twists and turns.


Bonus: I did not include the Chronicles of Narnia because I included it on my Top 5 Books That Make Me Me post yesterday. :)

 

Don't neglect to enter the giveaway!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never heard of any of these except the first one. Thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I'm glad I could introduce some new books to you.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely adding Thaw to my TBR now. ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All these look cool, especially The Map Across Time! Thanks for the recs, Kelsey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure!
      I was surprised by how much The Map Across Time captivated me.

      Delete
  5. These all look really interesting, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete